Follow by Email

Monday, July 24, 2017

Worthy by Donna Cooner

       I'm not a fan of non-classic romance most of the time, but I feel like someone should be reviewing romance every once in a while on this blog, so I picked this book up from the library.


       I wasn't a fan of this cover, too mushy for me, but I'm sure someone will like it...

       Despite the cover and the genre, I ended up sort of enjoying this book, but first the summary.

      Summary (from goodreads, like always):

Download the app. Be the judge.

Everyone at Linden's high school is obsessed with Worthy. It's this new app that posts pictures of couples, and asks: Is the girl worthy of the guy?

Suddenly, relationships implode as the votes climb and the comments get real ugly real fast.

At first, Linden is focused on other things. Like cute Alex Rivera. Prom committee. Her writing. But soon she's intrigued by Worthy. Who's posting the pictures? Who's voting? And what will happen when the spotlight turns... on Linden?




         It was a little cheesy, but even though the concept was cliché, the book somehow managed to be sort of original, which was kind of awesome?!? Seriously, even though this book had a very foreseeable plot twist, I was surprised by how many of the clichés this book managed to dodge! Points for that.

         It had really good characters, my only complaint is about the "best guy friend" character, because unlike the other characters, he was a huge cliché (the boo-hoo, stuck in the friend zone cliché). Points off for that.

        This book was super clean, no bad words or scenes beyond mild kissing, so points for that.

         I like it's message about inner beauty and it's the inside that really counts, more points for that.

         All in all, it was a good book. Not my piece of cake, since I don't like romance, but if you're a lover of romance, read this book, it's great!

         Rating: four stars, I refuse to get over the "guy friend" cliché, that was sad.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not into romance as a genre. I like it when it complements the rest of a book filled with awesome characters, amazing twists, action, adventure, plot that makes sense, and so on. I mean, having romance in a book isn't a bad thing when you're trying to depict life.

    I don't think I saw this at my library nor do I think I would be interested in reading it, but a clean book is a good book, right? They're hard to come by, especially with romance so that would give it a better chance of me reading it should it ever come to the library.

    Awesome review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for romance that much either, but it was pretty good, I know that other girls will enjoy this, just not me.

      Yes, it was clean!

      Delete

We welcome all comments - they will be moderated immediately, thank you!